I want to run a half marathon.
There. I said it. Please don’t laugh at me.
Over the last few days, I’ve really been itching to get back into running, and what would be better than making 13.1 miles my goal!?
I really think this goal is achievable within the next year. I’ve already found out that I can run a mile without stopping – so why not keep going!? I’ve done a bit of research and found a few running guides I want to follow. Realistically, I know there are a few things I’m going to have to purposefully do:
1. Get Committed. Once I start, I want to follow through. I made it through the Kris Gethin workout trainer, but it took me longer than the anticipated time as I got sidetracked with different things and life events. Even if it takes me all of 2014 I want to be able to run 13.1 miles.
2. Get Moving. This falls in line with the above. In order to make this happen, I have to actually do it – follow the guidelines and get my butt off the couch.
3. Get Healthy. When I did the Kris Gethin trainer, I saw results, but not as quickly as I would have liked. I attribute this mainly to the fact that I wasn’t eating according to his food/nutrition plans. Now, while these half marathon training guides don’t come with food advice, I’ve found a few things on Pinterest and articles online that share the best food for runners to eat. While my mileage won’t be too high in the beginning, I’ve got to start feeding my body for the training it will be doing.
4. Get Thirsty. If you know me in real life, you know that I don’t particularly care for water. I like flavored waters, lemonade, and the dreaded cokes. I’ve actually been doing decently lately with laying off sodas, so now if I can just train myself to drink more water, I’d be good to go. I need some good insulated water bottles for my desk at work and to carry around with me at home.
5. No Excuses. This goes for all of the above. It’s time to do this for myself. I was a runner before, I can be a runner again. I’ve mentally prepared for the first 3-4 weeks to be hellacious. It’s been awhile since I’ve lifted weights and done physical activity everyday so I know it’s going to be ugly. I’m going to be sore. I might have shin splints. I’ll be tired. But I have to do this.
Now — the tough part. I don’t have any running buddies. Donovan LOATHES running – and although he will ride his bike beside me, I run too slow for that. I’d love to have a running buddy – whether virtually or in real life. Are you interested in joining me? I’m considering following this running plan. It’s a 14-week plan. It might take me longer since I can only run 1 full mile at this point without stopping, but I don’t mind repeating a week or two as long as it keeps me active and training.
If you’re interested in joining me (virtually or in real life) – shoot me an email at newlywedgreggs [at] gmail [dot] com — or leave a comment. I’d love to have a friend!