Whenever I worked in the world of grant writing, there was a saying I lived by — “You never know where you’re going, until you know where you’ve been.” Ain’t that the dang truth – especially in our personal lives. Everything we have done/said/accomplished in our lives is what makes us who we are today. At least that is how I think about it. So – while the other day I posted about my New Years Resolutions and things I’m looking forward to in 2014 – I have yet to sit back and reflect on the year 2013.
2013 was a whirlwind of a year…does anyone else think this year has gone by so fast??
I started 2013 very unhappy in a job I hated. It was literally all I could do to find ANYTHING better than what I had been doing. Miraculously, I was offered a fantastic job with some great people. I don’t talk about work on my blog much (for a reason), but let’s just say I’ve never been as happy with a job as I have been now. I’m pretty sure at least 1x/week I laugh so hard that I cry. I love where I am, and I look forward to continue growing with our company!
At the beginning of April, I took a girls trip to Austin for my Bachelorette Party. It was the most perfect, relaxing weekend I ever could have wanted. We spent Saturday morning at a local spa getting massages and pedicures. We then headed to 2 wineries and spent the rest of the afternoon drinking in the fun before heading to a fancy dinner in downtown Austin. My maid of honor and sister-in-law helped me feel very special.
(This is a horrible picture, but it’s one of the only ones we remembered to take!)
Before our wedding, we moved Donovan into the apartment we would be sharing…and as one of his wedding gifts to me – he built us an amazing bed by his own bare hands! My husband is amazingly talented, and this is a bed that I will cherish forever…hopefully in 2014 we can build matching nightstands! We got the original plans from Ana White – but Dono changed it up a bit to make it unique.
On April 27th, Dono and I tied the knot in Dallas at two of the nicest venues in the Dallas area. The wedding and reception were an experience in themselves, and we continuously say it was one of the best weddings ever! It was so much fun to have our families and friends there to celebrate with us, and I’m so happy that I get to spend the rest of my life with this wonderful man!
A few days after the wedding, we jumped on a plane and headed to Palm Island for our Honeymoon. This was also the most relaxing week we’ve ever had. We laid on the beach, got sunburned, drank a lot, ate a lot, met some new friends (Hi Sandy and Diana!), got massages, and explored the island. We both hope that one year for an anniversary we can afford another trip back because it was amazing!
I haven’t taken too many photos the rest of the year, but here’s a list of other things we have done together in 2013:
– Celebrated my 27th birthday
– Moved in with Donovan after the wedding — 1st time living with someone else since my college days! 🙂
– Went to Shreveport for one of my best friend’s weddings (I was a bridesmaid)
– Started riding bikes and exercising more frequently
– Went to Houston for the Renaissance Festival (Donovan’s FAVORITE holiday)
– Became a beast in the kitchen, cooking homemade dinners 6 nights out of each week
– Spent 4th of July in Missouri and got to experience the craziest firework show there ever was
– I cut off 6 inches of hair
– had GREAT seats to see Keith Urban in concert
– Went to New Orleans over Labor Day weekend (my first time back in 8 years)
– Celebrated Donovan’s 27th birthday
– Celebrated a vegetarian Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law’s
– Witnessed my friends Will and Andrea tie the knot
– Joined a Spin Cycling class at the gym and befriended the instructor (Hi Beth!)
– I got in a go-kart wreck going 45 miles per hour
– Celebrated Christmas with both of our families
– My Uncle joined my Aunt and grandparents in Heaven
Needless to say -it’s been a busy year! I’m grateful for friends and family near and far, and I’m excited to see what 2014 has in store!
In other news – today starts my half marathon training! EEK! I’m excited, but nervous, too. If you’re interested in joining me on this journey, I’ve created a HashTag for us all to use….if you run or train (even if it isn’t the same program) use #RunWithCarrie on Instagram and Facebook so I can see you in action! I’ll be posting, too, so get in on it!